Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Sheckels

Someone asked me right before I left what kind of currency people in Israel use and I off handedly joked, "Sheckels. Sounds biblical." And, I was actually right (which, on a related note, is a reminder of why you should always go with your first instinct, appropriately stated in the form of a question, when watching Jeopardy.) Sheckels it is.


Unfortunately, a sheckel today won't get you what it got Jesus. Tonight, 55 sheckels (about 18 bucks) got me babagaboush (eggplant mush, basically), meat crouquettes, white beans with spices and a nice conversation with some Israelis down the street.

The street I "live" on, Ben Yehuda, is about two small blocks from the beach. There are tons of small coffee shops and bohemians riding bikes on my block. The city is big, and rundown by American standards, but has a life about it that belies it's appearance. The view from my hotel window is of the caved in roof of a neighboring building and the outlines of others which wouldn't lead you to believe that I feel safe here, but I do. It's far more Mediterranean and metropolitan than I imagined.


At the beach, there are lots of old people in small bathing suits and jellyfish. The water is so warm, you just want to lie in it all day. Even early in the morning, there are people out running, swimming and sunning. The air is warm and wet. When you walk, you sweat. But, when you sit, it's perfect. So, I do a lot of sitting.

People are out, in the water, at the clubs, eating dinner at ALL hours of the day. The first day I got here, I was up at 6 am and walked past people just back from the Club and eating "dinner."


Oh, and if anyone was wondering where Air Supply's next show was, it's here. In Israel. I called the number on the poster, and it was just a Dude answering his personal phone, with the equivillent of "Yeah?" It was too far away to catch a bus too, but it happened all the same.

7 comments:

Jocy May said...

i am so happy you're posting blogs about all this- Air Supply in Israel?! Who'da thunk?!

organizercarol said...

You missed Air Supply? How could you? Hey, dont eat too many beans, and move a little bit! Gotta wear a bridesmaid dress in a few short weeks! LOL. Glad to know you are safe and sound!

CristieMaye said...

So fun!! I'm sure the food is tasty! You have to try some Israeli chocolate...sounds weird but they have great chocolate! The brand I've had is Kinder and they make all sorts, but in particular, you need to find the one that has a picture of fireworks or an explosion on the front. It is basically a chocolate bar with Rock Pops in it and it is surprisingly AMAZING! scheck it out.

Be safe. Love you!
Cristie

Cassie said...

Mom was half asleep on the bed as I was printing Dance Camp mumbo jumbo. She opened one lid and asked, "Have you heard anything from Amy?" I shook my head and she dozed. A few minutes later she peeled open the lid again and asked, "Are you sure? No blog or anything?" I checked and said, "Oh. There's a new blog." She shot up and ran from the room, Hold on, I've got to get my glasses." Then she proceeded to lean over me as I read to her. When I was all done she asked me to leave you a comment, but she had nothing to say. Now, as I reread this comment to her she said, "That's not true... turd." But she still can't think of anything to say.
We love you.

Unknown said...

Apparently it is not blogger etiquette to include a personal address on these, but you are still my DarlItingdaughter. Excellent pictures and commentary BTW. You have a gift for comedy and tour guiding. Its comforting to know you feel safe. Are you traveling in an armored bus, accompanied by guards, to school? Are you even going to school?

Jenny said...

I think Kinder is German? Amy, can you confirm?

Too bad you missed Air Supply, I've heard they put on a terrific show!

And that water sounds amazing, but the beach does seem a bit crowded..are you laying out much? Who are you hanging out with?

Julia said...

I may rest now....