Sunday, July 13, 2008

I'll take you to the Candy Shop

One of the things I think I like most about other cultures is noticing the strange juxtaposition of American culture that invariably weasels itself into all, including the sometimes inappropriate, parts of life.

Example: We have this lovely breakfast at the hotel that's included in the rate. Every morning, I try and get up and get started early and there are a few of us who show up around the same time and have begun a breakfast comraderie of sorts. We bonded first over the fresh baked croissants ( or, butt enhancers:) and lack of meat products due to the Kosher nature of our hotel. Getting to the dining room involves getting off the elevator at the second floor, and then descending in plain view of the patrons down a flight of stairs to the first. Yesterday, I was the last of our posse into the dining room, so all eyes were on me as I waved to to our table from the top of the stair case. It was then that I realized that 50 Cent's "Candy Shop" was playing on the radio, shortly followed by Tom Jones' "Sex Bomb." I am not sure if anyone else in the place knew what the words to these songs were, but we sure did and they didn't seem like breakfast music. However, they did lend themselves to an agressive booty shake and some arm flailing on my part.

Booty shaking music and Breakfast. Juxtaposition in action.

We took a short field trip last week to Jaffa -- the port at the southern end of Tel Aviv and the oldest part of the city. From the small hill, you could see across the city.



Apparently, Jaffa is also the port from which Jonah tried to get a boat away from God, and eventually ended up in the belly of the whale. They are also licensed to sell ancient history, so I'm not sure if that story still belongs to God, or if someone already bought it.



We kind of ran through the city, so I want to get back up there sometime again. They have a massive flea market that I want to peruse for things I can bring home and reply nonchalantly to a compliment with, "Oh thanks, it's from Israel."

6 comments:

Jenny said...

i don't know, booty shakin' music and breakfast seem to go perfectly together...especially when you're eating butter croissants. I mean, you gotta burn some calories, right?

so, are these other students you're eating with? or just other hotel guests?

amyrenee said...

You are really concerned with whether or not I know how to make friends... aren't you Miss G? This is the second comment asking about "who I am hanging out with" :)

These are other students. Not hotel guests. These students are Sean, Emerson, and Sophia. They are nice, and laugh at my jokes.

Jenny said...

oh, good. now will there be pictures?

don't you remember I like all the details Amy?

and that's Mrs. G to you! ;)

Cassie said...

The bad thing about reading your new posts at Say Rd is I can't get Mom to back off. She is currently leaning on my chair and breathing down my neck while correcting my typos.

The walk through on their new house got pushed back a week. She is sad.

Glad to hear you've taken your booty skills with you. How did you fit them in your tiny suitcase?

CristieMaye said...

candy shop is classic. i'm glad it has a global appreciation. :)

shake yo money maker!

love you!
cristie

Julia said...

You know what? I know exactly what was going through your mind when you recapped the 50 cen' scene in your blog...but i won't go through the inner dialogue for you in public view. But you know i know....