Friday, September 26, 2008

Happy Clappys

Last night I met my great friends Dan and Alisha Sanvicens at St. Mary's church in London for a smashing non-churchy church dinner of red curry salmon and spicy conversation.

I took the 27 bus towards Edgeware Road, got off at the appropriate place and then, as should be expected, walked around in circles trying to look nonchalant and not lost. Where, oh where, was York Road!?

So, I stopped an early sixty-something grey-hair and asked if he knew where St. Mary's was.

He replied in a rolling of the "R," high brow type of English, " Oh! The Happy Clappys!? That used to be my parish church until some other people took it over and made it all just a bunch of noise!" Directions followed and I made it there in good time.

Unfortunately, there was no clapping that night. I suspect I'll get my fill in the near future, at least if we want to live up to our neighborhood reputation.

2 comments: