Friday, December 12, 2008

Fly Away

I've been interrupted three times recently.

The first was on Monday. I was leaving from my house after three days of furious studying for Federal Tax to actually attend the exam. I opened the outer door of my flat and found myself in the busy, smoky scene of a fire four doors down, but all up in my space. Three fire trucks, ambulances, people scurrying. It felt strange, like I had stepped into another world. I couldn't imagine how I missed it all happening. I mean, I can usually hear a flea fart through the single paned windows in my room. How did I miss it? I wasn't sure, but I was a bit annoyed at the commotion.

The second time was yesterday afternoon. Taking a break from my furious study habits, I was just out of the bath. The doorbell rang and it was a fireman offering free home inspections because a man had died in that fire, and they wanted to check my smoke alarms.

The third was that same night -- last night. This time, it was drum beats. Loud and more furious than my studying. Long, wailing singing. A crowd of people on the street, making one noise:

"Fly away. Fly away, home."

This time, I could hear it through my windows. I wanted to run down and make sure it was what I thought, but I thought better of interrupting such a procession.

So, I just listened. And, thought.

"Fly away. Fly away, home."

Somehow, the furious studying didn't seem so important.

3 comments:

Buddy and Genelle Colvard said...

Hello you sweet thing I just learned how to do your blog. Pam and
Steve are here now and showing us around. So you think that your Papa has a drawl? How dare you darling I speak perfect english! Youaaaaal must remember I graduated from Pepperdine with honors.
Love Papa

Buddy and Genelle Colvard said...

Hey Granddaughter, I am so proud
to have such smart grandchildren.
Wouldn't Mamaw be in awe even more
than I am. Boy, the days have
been busy. Yesterday, we too Papa
to Ventura for an x-ray and then I
came home and put the finishing touches on my Christmas letter.
After seeing some other pictures
people have used on their Christmas
picture, Mine looks a little ?????
The Plums are here putting aluminum
doors on our three car garage.
We'll be able to open them with the
click of a button. Today will
probably be busy too. Nana

Jenny said...

are you home now?