Friday, August 8, 2008

Crocodile Don't

One of my Israeli friends, Billie, just graduated from an Israeli art school. One of her photos is an especially pointed take on Israeli's fascination with the indomitable Croc line of shoes. You know the ones: puffy, plastic in bright clown colors...Israelis LOVE Crocs. Nearly EVERYONE wears them. Cute surfer boys in surf shops wear the camo ones, and old ladies sport orange and pink to the market. While Crocs have made their way to America, and even begrudgingly into the homes of some hold outs when they introduced their modern, more streamlined looks ( See: Jenny Gough, Nicole Wolf and, alas, I) I can't say they have had the same market saturation as in Israel.

Thus, Billie's commentary. I'm not quite sure if she wants Crocs to die, or if she thinks you should be killed for wearing them, but I think I agree with either statement.

At least until I am able to, one and for all, denounce fashion for function. And, I don't think that's going to happen anytime soon. I am too in love with my new Jill Stuart snakeskin pumps to do THAT quite yet.

3 comments:

Jenny said...

ah, but the little maryjane ballet ones are so darn cute! I also must admit that Jeff and I own the kind with the fuzzy inserts and wear them as house slippers.

Em Levy {orange + barrel} said...

Amen!! The Israeli Croc situation is out of hand.

UncleTwoSon said...

Well,
U must take after you Uncle J . . .
Loves his Florsheim BOOTS!!!
XOX,
*>)
UncleTwoSon